Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Goodbye Mom


Today is a sad day. Aunt Nancy has passed away. I got the call this afternoon from Christine. I wish I could be in California with her. I am so sad that I am so far away. I am very glad that I went out and said goodbye to my mom just a few weeks ago. Even though I knew she was ill, I can't believe she is gone. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it.
I have so many memories of her. I will tell you stories about her later. But, today the pain is too fresh and new.
I am going to write one little story. Today I went to the store to get something for dinner. I saw some flank steaks on sale. Evey year on your birthday Aunt Nancy makes you anything you want for dinner. Every year without fail you ask for flank steak because Aunt Nancy made this steak sauce that was so delicious but she only made it when we had flank steak.
You love that stuff so much you almost drink it! Now when I cook, I make that steak sauce and my kids fight over it whenever we have flank steak. (Actually whenever we have any kind of steak).
When I bought the steaks today, I had not received the call yet that Aunt Nancy had passed on. Then, tonight as I ate dinner I couldn't help but remember all your favorite birthday meals with her. It became an inside joke. "What do you want for dinner Crystal? It's your birthday." she would say with a lilt in her voice. "I know what you want." her voice now taunting you just a little. "I bet you want liver & onions!" Your nose would crinkle up. "No way! I want flank steak!"
How strange I would plan this dinner tonight on nobody's birthday. It was as if God wanted me to celebrate her with the way that she celebrated me. The dinner was wonderful, a little sad, and I still think it tasted better when mom made it.
RIP Mommy I love you!
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment