Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dear Little Crystal (Holidays 2008)

Well, my son arrived safe and sound (and dry). He and I were talking today and it reminded me of a time when you were sick. As I have said before, the letters I write to you are not in chronological order. The truth is, I don't remember things in order. You just simply appear to me at different times in my life. Sometimes, I hear something like a piano or a song. Sometimes I smell something like fresh bread or a fragrance like Aqua Velva (grandpa's favorite). Sometimes I see something like a little girl in the park or a man holding his child's hand as they cross the street. Those sites, sounds and smells trigger something inside of me that brings me back to you.
I am not sure what trigger it was today, but I remember it very clearly as though it were just a few days ago.
As I have stated before, you are a wise little girl. Really, you are wise beyond your years. You know this and sometimes are a bit of a show off. you like to use big words to make sure people know just how "grown up" you really are. Today you are not well and you want to tell Aunt Nancy that you are sick but you want to say it in an adult, polite way. I am not sure how old you are, but I am sure you are under 5 because at this time you are still referring to her as "Aunt Nancy" and not ma. So, this tells me you are still very young.
In your mind, it is important to please her. You must be perfect. You must act right, dress right and speak right. If you do and say the right things, maybe new mommy (Aunt Nancy) won't leave you like the other mommy did.
So, you go to her. "Aunt Nancy, I am constipated" you tell her as you hold your tummy. Aunt Nancy looks down at you with loving and sympathetic eyes and can see your pain. She takes your little hand and reassures you that she has just the medicine to make you feel all better. You take the medicine and you know that soon all will be right. But it isn't all better. As the day goes by you still feel sick. It hurts bad. So, you return to her. "Aunt Nancy, I am still constipated." you cry. Aunt Nancy looks down at you and says "You are? Well, let's get you some more medicine."
But, as time goes by you are getting worse and worse. Finally in the evening you are crying. Now you are running to her. "No matter how much medicine you give me, I still keep having to go potty!" Aunt Nancy is baffled. "What do you mean?" she asks. "I thought you said you were constipated." "Oh I am!" you tell her with tear filled eyes. "I have diarrhea!"
Oh you poor little baby. Trying to use big words you almost ended up in the hospital. Aunt Nancy holding back laughter sat down and explained to you the difference between constipation and diarrhea. She then got you the appropriate medicine.
You learned a very important lesson that day that still serves me today. Be sure you know the meaning of a word (no matter what language) before you use it in a sentence!
I love you sweet pea!
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment